Not wanting to make a trip into town for supplies, I made chili with stuff I had around the cabin. Writing it down for future use as it was super easy and MMM, MMM GOOD!
* 1 pound of ground beef or turkey
* 3/4 cup diced red onion
* 4 heaping tablespoons of Mrs. Renfro’s Green Salsa
* 2 teaspoons of chili powder
* 1.5 teaspoons cumin
* 1 jalapeño diced (I chopped up a heaping tablespoon of canned, sliced ones because I didn’t have a fresh jap.)
* 1 green bell pepper diced
* 1 can beans drained (We had a can of red kidney beans which is optional, of course, as is everything else.)
* 1 & a 1/2 tomatoes (just what I had…mix and match with diced tomatoes and tomato sauce based on what’s in the cupboard.)
* 22 oz of tomato sauce (I had a 14 oz and 8 oz can in the cupboard so used what I had)
* 8 oz water (I filled the empty 8 oz can of tomato sauce but didn’t need to.)
Brown the ground beef in a pan then add to the crockpot with the other ingredients. I actually sautéed the onion & green pepper with the beef because I thought we’d be eating it in about 2 hours. Ended up cooking it on high for about 4 hours.
Topped it off with shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream and some crushed tortilla chips. Delicious and easy and cheap!